America is one of the most exciting and diverse countries in the world. It is called the land of opportunity and many people dream of being able to work and live there. Here is how to make it possible.
In order to be able to follow your dream and live in the United States you will need to apply for either a student or a work visa. If you don’t have any plans to study but wish to work there the easiest way to achieve that is to get a job offer from America.
Best ways to get a job offer to work in America
1. Invest in a professional American style resume and cover letter. Make sure you list all your work experience and special skills and make it relevant to the position you are applying for.
2. Set up an account on LinkedIn. Many potential jobs can be found with contacts made on this network and company’s looking for workers can view your LinkedIn profile to see if you are a suitable candidate. It is a great way to network with potential employers and keep your eye out for positions that you could apply for.
3. Do your research on the internet. Look at company’s who have previously hired people from your home country as they are more likely to hire you and give you a chance. Also if you have any colleagues from your country who now work in the U.S. see if they can assist you in finding a position. Just keep talking to people, stay informed and get your name noticed.
4. If you are a professional (such as a lawyer or a doctor) recruiting agencies known as headhunters who help business’s find applicants could be worth a try. The U.S is always seeking doctors, but remember an Indian medical degree is not always acceptable and you may have to do an additional exam to meet the requirements to begin practicing in the U.S.
5. Follow up any applications. Even if you don’t receive any notifications back to let you know if you were successful or not, it is always beneficial to make a follow up call which shows that you are eager and enthusiastic. Many American company’s simply don’t respond to applications so it is always worthwhile to contact them.
6. If you do get an interview and are taking it online from your home country, make sure you dress for the part. Dress as though you were meeting in person. Make sure you research the Company and have two to three questions ready to ask your interviewer. If English is not your first language, don’t worry. Rehearse with someone before your interview so that you feel more prepared. Make sure you don’t forget to discuss your skills and experience with the interviewer and impress them with your desire for the position.
Once you have a job offer ask about sponsorship
When you have secured a job offer in the United States the next step is to secure the correct visa that will allow you to work there. Ask your employer to file a petition for your to come and work in America. You will need to send them the forms and instructions on the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website. uscus,gov Don’t forget to give your employer all the information they will require including your passport details and citizenship status. USCIS will send your employer a notice of action when their petition on your behalf has been approved. Then after this is done you are free to apply for a visa.
The correct visa for the U.S
The H-1B visa allows U.S. employers to temporarily employ foreign workers. To apply for one the person must hold the equivalent to U.S. 4-years bachelor’s or higher degree. The duration of the visa is from three to six years but can then be extended. The H-2A visa allows employers to hire foreign workers who are able to live in the United States to work doing seasonal farm and agricultural work.. The H-2B visa is designed for more unskilled workers who are able to come to the United States and work in non agricultural services or labor. And the L1 visa is suitable for people who have worked for a branch office of the same country in a different country. So no matter what your level of education there are different ways to live and work in the United States.
Complete your visa for the U.S. online
Go to https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/ to apply for your visa online. All of your answers must be completed in English so if you need someone to assist you with this have them on hand. You will also need a recent passport-sized photo for your application.
Don’t miss the dates for visa applications for the United States
All visa applications are processed at specific times of the year. It is important to make sure you check the dates in regards to the specific visa you are after so you don’t miss out.
Don’t give up on your dream to work in the United States
Millions have achieved their dreams to work in America. You can too. Be persistent, make the contacts, send out applications and eventually the hard work will pay off. America is the land where anyone can make it, no matter where they come from and you can join the list of those that get to live and work in the United States as long as you put the effort in to make it happen.